Eco-Fashion Earth Day Giveaway: Ode to Mother Earth and all Her Elements
Earth Month is an important month for us here at Jute and Jackfruit, and we hope it is for you too. It’s a celebration of our Raison D’Etre and passion behind our company. Plus, it’s a chance to give thanks to Mother Earth, the matron behind our existence.
As such, we see this as a time of gratitude and reflection on the Environment and an opportunity to reflect on what we are currently doing to protect natural resources as well as what we can do better. We would like to extend this dialogue to you as part of our Earth Day Giveaway, and offer three great prizes to 3 unique winners for this ever-important month. Come join us!
Giveaway Rules: Enter your answer to one (or more) of the following as a comment on our blog:
1) What are you currently doing to reduce your environmental or carbon footprint in your daily life?
2) What would you like to do better (starting this month!), and
3) Why is Earth Day/Earth Month important to you?
*Note: Each person is only eligible to enter once.
PRIZES We will offer 3 prizes to three unique winners:
1st Runner Up: Win your choice of an original Sita 100% Organic Cotton T-shirt (Made in USA) with beautiful nature-inspired designs
2nd Runner Up: Win your choice of an Itsus System Green Organic Cotton Tee. These are made not only with organic cotton, but are ethically made through very environmentally conscious production (thus “System Green”) and each sport unique, nature-inspired designs.
GRAND PRIZE: The lucky grand prize winner will have the opportunity to choose from one of the following:
The winners will be chosen on April 23rd, 2010 (the day after Earth Day) by Random.org and will emailed directly as well as announced on our blog. Good Luck!
We have taken the time to answer these questions ourselves from our company’s perspective to start the dialogue. We look forward to hearing your responses, too!
Jute and Jackfruit’s Responses by Owner Shana Yansen. Starting with the last question first, Earth Month is important for me and for Jute and Jackfruit not only because it is a celebration of the passion and commitment behind our company—protecting the earth and its natural resources, but also because it provides an opportunity for us to evaluate what we are doing to achieve success as an environmentally conscious business and what we can do better.
I am a strong believer in valuing key natural resources that are part of our daily lives. Two elements that stand out for me are air and water. I’d like to highlight these two crucial resources because they are so often under-appreciated. Why? Perhaps in part perhaps because we have such easy access to them and assume them to be free (or nearly free) in unlimited quantity.
Water as you know, is one of the most fundamental elements in Nature and the basis for life. As Wikipedia notes, “is vital for all forms of life”. Personally, I drink a lot of water every day and I use it in so many ways, as I am sure you do, too. Whether it be showering, washing dishes, doing laundry, watering plants or other…it is essential to my and most people’s existence. On a daily basis though, I, perhaps I like many others, take this resource for granted and so would like to take a moment this month to appreciate this precious resource. Of the many places I have been and/or lived around the world, many do not have access to water, let alone fresh (potable) water. To have ready access to it here in the US (and the Boston area to be specific) for free in many public places and at minimal cost at households, is of great value. Protecting its purity and health is an investment I favor. As someone who is about to bring a child into this world, I want to make sure our waterways are protected so that my child as well as the millions of other children across the globe continue to have access to fresh water for their entire lifetime and for generations to come.
Air. Another biggie for me is air. According to Wikipedia, air means Earth’s atmosphere. It is a mixture of nitrogen, oxygen and a few other gases. Without the oxygen in air, we would not be here today nor could we survive if somehow it left the atmosphere. Oxygen is absorbed in our lungs and then we exhale carbon dioxide. Plants and animals are also dependent on oxygen and air more broadly. Now that the Spring birds are out and warm weather emerging, its easy to appreciate fresh air. Out on a walk, it can be so invigorating. Again like water, when I lived and/or traveled in other parts of the world where the air is more contaminated, I have come to appreciate the air here the Boston area. Not to say that our air is the freshest here in MA (it could be better!), but compared to other places on earth, it is indeed much cleaner and crisper, not to mention invigorating on a beautiful day. As far as pollution goes, whether it be carbon dioxide, sulfur dioxides, carbon monoxide, particulate matter, nitrogen oxides, CFCs, VOCs or other substances, air pollution has led to and/or contributed to so many modern day public health and environmental issues, including but not limited to climate change, asthma, skin irritations, bronchial infections and more. In fact, about 4 percent of deaths in the United States can be attributed to air pollution, according to the Environmental Science Engineering Program at the Harvard School of Public Health as noted on Wikipedia on Air Pollution. Clearly, protecting our air, and not just our water, is another important area for environmental investment and commitment. We here at Jute and Jackfruit are committed to this both directly and indirectly through our business.
Re-affirming Our Commitment to the Environment: As part Earth Month, I’d like to take stock of Jute and Jackfruit’s commitment to the environment both through our eco-fashion boutique as well as through our investments in environmental organizations. In addition, I would like to see what we can do better. As part of Jute and Jackfruit’s mission, we believe not only in running our business with strong environmental principles and commitment to conservation, recycling and earth-friendly operations, but we also measure our success by what we give back to the environment. Along these lines, our commitment to One Percent for the Planet represents part of this investment. This year, we donated to the Mass Chapter of the Nature Conservancy as well as the Mass Climate Action Network. We believe that running a holistic, ethical and environmentally-conscious business is not enough in this day and age. So much damage has been done and is being done on a daily basis, that as a responsible business, we want to go beyond our immediate sphere of influence and contribute to making change through organizations that are solely devoted to environmental conservation, education and advocacy.This is why we are are a part of One Percent for the Planet.
Here is a glimpse at what Jute and Jackfruit is doing to limit our environmental footprint:
- - Fabric Sourcing: we are committed to eco-friendly and sustainable fabrics such as organic cotton, hemp, organic wool, recycled fabrics, mill-ends, Tencel and soy. We are always keeping our eyes out for more innovations on eco-fabrics to add to our repertoire.
- - Eco-fashion Designer Selection: beyond fabrics, we are commitment to independent and emerging designers that are committed to the environment and sustainability beyond fabrics. We look to partner with designers that use recycled packaging, that minimize their footprint and that are also committed to ethical principles in their production.
- - Eco-friendly Packaging and Paper Products: we recycle everything that we can recycle and re-use cardboard boxes all the time. We ship with recycled cardboard boxes whenever possible, and when we need to buy new packaging materials we buy post-consumer recycled paper products as well as Mohawk paper. We also buy biodegradable plastic garment bags.
- - Electricity: We pay a premium on our electricity to have it generated through Wind power.
- - Carbon off-setting: when we go to shows outside of MA, we offset our carbon footprint.
- - Education/Awareness Raising: We try to spread the word about the importance of eco-friendly textiles and apparel production through our blogs and community outreach. We love speaking on panels, at schools and being a part of eco-events to help raise awareness on these issues and increase demand for eco-conscious and ethically made products.
What We Want to Do Better
(1) Next year, we would like to explore extending carbon offsetting to other parts of our business.
(2) We would also like to increase our commitment to and investment in environmental organizations through our One Percent for the Planet membership.
(3) Education. Though we are already committed to this, much, much more needs to be done and we want to continue to spread the word through our friends, customers and communities in which Jute and Jackfruit is a part.
So now it’s your turn, we want to hear from you. What are you doing, now, what do you want to do better and why is Earth Month important to you. Tell us your thoughts and the lucky winners will win beautiful eco-friendly and fashion conscious clothing items!